Tufts Travel Review
Countries with Level 3 or Level 4 Travel Advisories and any areas/regions within a country subject to a Level 3 and 4 advisory) have been identified by the U.S. Department of State as high risk. Per Tufts university policy, student travelers going to these countries will need to go through an additional process to have their travel reviewed. The goal of this review is to ensure that students have made all efforts to address risks prior to travel and that any necessary safety and security measures have enacted.
There are two instances in which your travel is subject to university review:
- You are traveling to a country that is subject to a DOS Travel Advisory rating of Level 3 ("Reconsider Travel") or Level 4 ("Do not travel")
- You are traveling to a region/area/city within a country that is subject to a DOS Travel Advisory rating of Level 3 ("Reconsider Travel") or Level 4 ("Do not travel")
Overview of Policy and Process
The Travel Review is undertaken by the Tufts International Travel Review Committee (ITRC). The ITRC is chaired by the Provost’s office and includes faculty and administrators with expertise in medical, legal and security issues.
We have dedicated web pages for the travel review process for Individual Student Travel and Group Travel. While very similar in nature, each require a slightly separate set of information and we highly recommend that you consult these pages.Below you will find a general summary of the policy.
Who needs to follow this policy?
ALL TUFTS STUDENTS (undergraduate or graduate) who are traveling internationally for any Tufts-sponsored, Tufts- administered, or Tufts- related activity/program. Students must adhere to this policy regardless of whether the trip has any funding or credit attached to it.
Examples of student travel include but are not limited to:
- participating in recognized student organization trips abroad
- conducting research
- conducting an internship
- attending a conference
- enrolling as an individual at a foreign institution
*Please note that if you are traveling with a program (such as the Global Health Program at the Medical School or Tufts Programs Abroad), you should follow your program's internal guidelines.
Student requests for travel review should be received at least FOUR weeks prior to departure according to published deadlines. These should be submitted early and students should not purchase ANY flights until after receiving written approval for their travel.
Travel Review Process
Students intending to travel to a country that is subject to Travel Review will be asked to submit a completed online application. For group review, the trip leader will apply on behalf of the entire group.
The application includes:
- Detailed information about your current trip plan, including housing, accommodation, transportation, emergency resources, and your current understanding of the risks in the location and related to your travel. The information is sent to International SOS, Tufts International Assistance and Intelligence Provider.
- Assessment of Travel by Tufts' International Assistance and Intelligence Provider
- EAD/School Endorsement/Acknowledgement
Ready to get started with the review?
Email Chelsea Ferrell, Program Manager for Global Operations, or call 617-627-4649.